Scotland's Premier Cabin Supplier

Frequently Asked Questions

Have a question? Check below or please do get in touch.

General FAQs

What is the warranty?

All our buildings have a 10yr manufacturer’s warranty on the building and shingle. This warranty guarantees replacement of any component parts should they be found to be defective within this period, however it does not cover accidental damage or weather damage once building is constructed. Customers should also note that timber is a natural product and prone to changes in appearance, including some movement and the occurrence of small knot holes or splits in extreme temperatures and weather conditions. Splits, knots or similar visual imperfections in the timber not affecting the structural integrity of the building will not be accepted as a valid reasons for a claim against our warranty.

What bases should my cabin be on?

There are 3 options for the base of your cabin.  As our bbq cabins work on a natural draw, which allows them to be the safest on the market, the base is critical to this.

Concrete base – we have specific instructions which we can send you on receipt of deposit on how to construct your base to allow the air to flow.

If you are based on the islands, or coastal areas, we strongly recommend a concrete base.

Timber Frame Base – if you have an area (or are putting one in) that is hard such as monoblocks, paving, concrete pad or decking, a frame is needed here.  This lifts the cabin up off the surface to allow airflow, and also reduces moisture being absorbed from underneath.

Please note that Type 1 or hardcore is not suitable for a cabin to sit on.

Timber Peg Base – this is a great option for most cabins.  This base allows for loads of airflow, and copes with any lumps or bumps that might be in the area where the base is levelled off and then the cabin installed on top.

Please discuss your specific space with our sales team who will help advise you with the best option.

Any timber bases we fit are supported on “TANALISED” timber which has been impregnated with a preservative solution under high pressure in an industrial vessel. This treatment process ensures deep penetration into the timber cells, for a longer-lasting protective result against fungal decay and insect attack than the application of a surface coating. Pressure-treated timber is leach resistant, ensuring a long and trouble-free service life in a wide range of conditions, and assured performance in sensitive environments such as vegetable plots and areas of wildlife. Desired service lives range from 60 years for internal timbers and 30 years for external timbers such as fence posts in ground contact.

Studio Bases – these are either timber peg, or hard-standing depending on the area you are looking to put your studio.

What interiors are there for the cabins and studios?

We have designed 4 different Interior Collections for your bbq cabin based on size of the cabin you would like, and also how much you want to add into the cabin.  Our sales team will take you through these.  You can of course adapt as required too if there are parts you want to leave out, or extras to add in.  We do ask that you choose all of these at the time of ordering.

The studios will have a white undercut on the walls, and you can choose your colour of laminate flooring, as well as the colours for your facings and finish of the cabin.

What is on the roof of the cabins and studios?

There are 3 colours of shingle available for the bbq cabins:  Black.  Green/Black and Red/Black.

On the studios – this is Firestone rubber.

Can I get an extension on my cabin?

Our 10㎡ cabin, and our 17㎡ cabins can have extensions added to them to create even more space for parties and hanging out.

The 17m cabin is extended by straightening the walls, and then adding either a single or double walled extension at either 2 or 3m in length.

The 10m cabin is extended in a number of different ways, depending on the length of the extension, and whether you want this to be sloping or straight.

There may be others soon too…

What do you cook with on the bbq cabins?

The bbq unit is a charcoal bbq, and that should be used to cook with too.  There are some excellent companies who provide chips for adding to your charcoal to add flavour to your food.  

One of our favourites are Angus & Oink for rubs and sauces.

Can I move my cabin?

Yes, although it is not as straightforward as it may first appear.

If you cabin has been up a while, the shingle on the roof will have stuck down tight and when we come to move a cabin, this has be redone.  The whole process, from dismantling, re-shingling and tidying the cabin up, and then re-installing takes 2-3 days.

We also only recommend moving a cabin once, twice at the absolute most.

Please contact us if you would like to do this – the investment in this really is worthwhile.

If someone else moves the cabin other than our team, this will invalidate any warranty on the cabin.

We do not recommend attempting to move a studio once installed.

Environmental Policy on our wood products

All of the timber we use in our buildings is sourced from FSC or PEFC certified suppliers. The FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) is a global organisation with the aim of ensuring the chain of custody of all timber products and that the sourcing forests are properly managed to ensure sustainability. This means that more trees are planted than those that are used. It also ensures fairness for the indigenous populations where these forests are located.

PEFC (Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification) is the largest worldwide forest certification system with around 220 million hectares of certified forests. Their aims are all associated with the sustainability of the supply of timber and doing that in an environmentally friendly way.

Both processes tracks timber through each stage of the supply chain, from felling through milling, transportation, import, distribution and finally to the point of use. This provides a level of transparency and traceability to guarantee compliance with demands for ethically sourced timber products.

Do you offer Finance?

Get an instant decision today – Click Here

Planning FAQs

Since October 2008, in England, outbuildings have been covered by ‘permitted development’ rights – a type of planning classification which means that you have automatic planning permission without application subject to certain restrictions.The main restriction is that your house is not ‘listed’, and that you’re outside ‘Designated land’ – which includes National Parks, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Conservation Areas and World Heritage Sites. So, if you’re not in one of those areas, you qualify for permitted development rights.

Put simply, your Cabin should be sited at least 1 metres from any boundary (e.g. your garden fence) and should not take up more than 50% of your garden space. It should not be sited on land forward of a wall forming the ‘principal elevation’ (that means not in front of the house).Our Cabins do not generally need building regulations approval provided you do not intend to install sleeping accommodation. Of course normal safety standards should be adhered to, particularly regarding any electrical connections.

Planning laws here in Scotland are different, but were similarly relaxed in February 2012. Please see here for more information click here.

If you are in a Conservation area, or have a listed building property, please talk to your local planning department.  We would be delighted to help you where we can with this.

Town & Country Planning PDF


guarantee 10 Years

10 year manufacturer on all building materials

guarantee 20 Years

Up to 20 year guarantee on UPVC doors

guarantee 10 Years

10 year guarantee on all uPVC window frames

guarantee 5 Years

5 year guarantee on all sealed glass window units in uPVC Glazing

guarantee 5 Years

10 year guarantee on all Pilkington roof glazing.

Enquire about our products

Fill in your details below, we will get back to you as quickly as we can.